I love the idea of using podcasts to record the history of locals whose families have lived in the vicinity for generations. Alternately, there could be locals with interesting personal stories to share or even veterans, who may be able to share some of their experiences and provide the students with other perspectives. Imagine the students having opportunity to interview local members of 'the Stolen Generation' and gaining knowledge of their experiences first hand. I am a history buff and can see countless applications for this in the classroom. This is something I have explored on my website ('What Was Our Local Area Like in the Late 1800s'?).
For a contemporary flavour, the students could interview local professionals such as an agronomist for a unit on soil conservation, or a geologist for a unit on earthquakes. The applications for this technology are boundless. The enterprising Learning Manager could not only be providing her students with an authentic learning experience with information from a primary source, but could be building a catalogue of future resources! There are many cross-curriculum learning opportunities using podcast. Podcasts can also be a great source of information for students.
Other ideas include recording the class' entry in a public speaking competition (e.g. poetry recital) for parents and posterity.
I have a 'Podomatic' account but have not managed to make my own podcast as yet. My computer does not have an inbuilt speaker (or webcam) and I think this is my problem (?)!
No comments:
Post a Comment